contemptuous mind

other than the occasional restock of supplies and daily trips to the newsagents for cigarettes there is little enough time to go sight-seeing while paint occupies much of my time.

On a whim I ventured into the town yesterday evening to catch a glimpse of the fading light as it streamed down the hi-street I found a bigger than normal crowd flocking around the bird-cage, a local meeting point, in addition to the music that blared out through the town there was also an international food market inviting all to sample the delights of a variety of places from around the globe, for the average kendalian ( a resident of Kendal ) a treat for sure and guarenteed to bring the folk from their homes.

For me I could feel little more than a level of contempt while remembering so few that had lined the streets for the recent Remembrance Sunday, are people so wrapped up in their lives that they are not aware or worst still even caring that we are a country at war while our young men fight a daily and constant battle for life, do they even realise that, even in their own country, a third of the world is in starvation, my friends wonder why my life is so apart from society today provides the answer.

The wars continue, Iraq, Afghanistan, Terrorism, the death toll continues to rise, the end never in site, it is difficult to paint such bright and lite paintings while this remains the focus of my attentions but not impossible and something that I need to address if I am to move forward in my paintwork.

Popular posts from this blog

A Quiet Return It’s been a few years since anything new appeared on this blog. No dramatic exit, no crisis, no grand story — just life unfolding in its own quiet way while I wandered off into a long stretch of creative exploration. I didn’t spend that time chasing expectations or trying to produce anything impressive. In fact, it was the opposite. I let myself make things without pressure, without anticipation, and without any need for an audience. It was a good kind of absence — the sort that gives you space to breathe and rediscover what you enjoy. Along the way, painting slipped out of my hands. Not abandoned in frustration, just… released. It had carried me through many chapters, but eventually it felt like a language I’d said enough in. So I turned to sculpture, almost by accident, and found myself on a long, meandering tour through every material within reach. Papier‑mâché came first — messy, forgiving, and strangely liberating.Foam followed, stubborn but full of possibility.Cardboard had its moment too, proving far more architectural than I expected. Each material taught me something different about form, weight, and patience. And then, gradually, I settled into polymer clay. It felt right — structured but flexible, expressive without demanding perfection. It opened a new path, and with it came another journey: exploring genre, tone, and character in ways paint never quite allowed. So yes, I’ve been away. But not idle.Just quietly occupied in the kind of creative work that doesn’t need announcing. Now the blog returns — not as a relaunch, not as a promise, but simply as a continuation. A place to share what I’ve been shaping, learning, and enjoying along the way. If you’ve found your way back here too, welcome. Let’s see where this next chapter leads.

Polymer Clay 01

grounding