slowing things down
To this theme of slowing things down, whether it is me or the world that is really running faster, I'm not entirely sure. It is probably a combination of the two that makes life both difficult and interesting at the same time. What I do know is that speeding things up at a stage in life when things need to become slower and more deliberate is not the right direction for me. Changes have had to be made, both to my lifestyle and to my mindset.
I know the real answer now. In truth, I probably knew it from the beginning, but it was difficult to accept that I was moving towards a stage in life where my old way of navigating the world would no longer be sustainable. I feared the world would gradually pull away from me, leaving me unable to keep up, let alone recover the ground I had lost.
The fear, as it turned out, was exactly that: a fear of being left behind. A fear of watching the world and the people within it continue moving forwards as they always have and always will. Time and tide, as the saying goes, wait for no one.
For a long time, I fought against that feeling. Like many people, I convinced myself that the answer was to move faster, to work harder, to absorb more, to somehow accelerate my way back into step with everything around me. Yet every attempt to speed up only seemed to create more noise. The world became louder, more demanding, and more fragmented. Rather than helping me keep pace, it left me feeling further behind.
The unexpected answer was not acceleration but reduction.
Reducing the noise.
Reducing the number of things that demanded my attention.
Reducing the pressure to understand everything immediately.
Reducing the self-imposed expectation that I should somehow master every new development simply because it exists.
And what a world it has become. I have lived through the transition from a largely mechanical world to a digital one, and now from a digital age into something altogether less visible: an age increasingly shaped by artificial intelligence. It is here to stay. I realised that if I wanted to remain an active participant rather than a spectator, I would need to preserve what matters from my analogue past while learning how to operate within this emerging AI-driven world.
Previous generations experienced enormous change across their lifetimes, but the pace of change today feels different. The shift from steam power to machinery, and later from machinery to computers, produced technologies that could be seen, touched and physically understood. You could point to the machine that was changing your life. You could hear it, smell it, and often repair it.
This latest transformation feels different because so much of it is invisible.
The engines of change now consist of data, algorithms and systems operating beyond direct observation. What once automated physical labour is now beginning to automate parts of human thought itself. That is a profound shift, and at times it feels as alien to me as being dropped into a culture whose language I cannot speak.
Yet the reality remains unchanged: this world is here, and it is here to stay.
The choice before me is not whether I welcome that reality. The choice is how I respond to it.
I can reject it and slowly become a spectator in a world that increasingly moves beyond my understanding, or I can engage with it, however imperfectly, and make use of the opportunities it presents. Participation does not require complete mastery. It requires only a willingness to learn.
That understanding has brought an unexpected sense of peace.
I no longer feel the need to outrun the future.
I no longer believe I must understand every new technology the moment it appears.
I no longer measure my worth by how quickly I can adapt.
Instead, I have started to appreciate that adaptation itself is a slower process than modern culture often admits. Understanding takes time. Wisdom takes time. Accepting change takes time.
The irony is that by slowing down, I have become more capable of keeping up.
Perhaps that is one of the hidden lessons of growing older. The goal is not to move at the same speed as the world. That battle is unwinnable. The goal is to move at a pace that allows you to remain engaged with it without losing yourself in the process.
The world will continue to accelerate, with or without my approval. New technologies will appear. Old certainties will disappear. Entire industries and ways of living will evolve beyond recognition.
Time and tide will continue their ancient work.
But I no longer see myself standing on the shore, fearful of being left behind.
Instead, I find myself doing something much simpler.
I am learning to walk at my own pace through a changing world, carrying forward what still matters, letting go of what no longer serves me, and accepting that the measure of a life is not how fast it moves, but whether it remains fully lived while it does.